Program Manager, Chief Resilience Officer
Julia Chase is the City of San Diego’s first Chief Resilience Officer where she oversees the implementation of its climate adaptation and resilience plan, Climate Resilient SD. Julia is a certified sustainability practitioner with over eight years of experience in climate and natural resource planning. Julia led the development of San Diego’s Coastal Erosion Assessment, Sea Level Rise Vulnerability Assessments, Climate Change Vulnerability Assessment, and strategy and plan development for Climate Resilient SD. Julia has worked in the private sector, supporting climate resilience planning at the local, state, and federal levels, including adaptation strategy development and prioritization, energy resilience, innovative funding strategy, and risk assessments. Throughout her career, Julia’s work has spanned natural resource management, renewable energy development, climate mitigation, mobility, and climate resilience. She has extensive experience in stakeholder engagement, facilitating collaboration across sectors and interest areas, and strategic planning. Julia holds a Bachelor of Arts in Environmental Studies and a Master of Science in Environmental Science. She is a member of the American Society of Adaptation Professionals and the International Society of Sustainability Professionals and holds Sustainability Excellence Professional and LEED Green Associate certifications.
Our Changing Coast: How San Diego is Planning for Sea Level RiseThe City is developing a Coastal Resilience Master Plan that will identify nature-based solutions for climate vulnerable areas to promote resilience and protect critical habitats. This presentation will follow the planning process, from vulnerability assessments to site-specific solutions. It will also identify key points to engage with stakeholders and innovative ways to engage with communities.
Participants will learn about planning for coastal resilience, from the vulnerability assessment stage to site-specific nature-based solutions.
- Learn about how coastal flooding and erosion were evaluated for the vulnerability assessment and what key findings came from the assessment.
- Learn about inclusive and community centered engagement in climate resilience planning.
- Learn about how to develop tailored adaptation strategies to address identified vulnerabilities
- Learn about moving from planning into implementation and how to bring stakeholders along with you
- Learn about alignment of climate mitigation and climate adaptation planning efforts.
- Discuss climate resilience planning process from vulnerability assessments to site specific implementation.
- Integrate equity considerations into community engagement and identify new approaches to engagement.
- Identify and explain different adaptation strategies to mitigate impacts from sea level rise and build community resilience.