Mónika Serrano, WELL AP, LEED® AP BD+C, LFA, Climate Reality Leader, fitwel Ambassador, leads the resilience program at Turner Construction. A Venezuelan native and Mechanical Engineer graduate from Lafayette College, she has held roles in most phases of the construction process in her 18 years in the industry. Mónika considers climate change one of the biggest threats to humanity and is constantly pushing the bar in the aspects of resiliency, climate adaptation and mitigation. In 2017, she was elected to the USGBC NJ Board of Directors. She is an active member of the American Society of Adaptation Professionals. Mónika has presented at numerous venues on climate adaptation, the value of resilience, sustainable design and construction. She co-authored two articles on climate litigation and the value of resilience. She constantly collaborates with folks in the design, engineering, construction, risk and insurance industries as she believes in the power of partnerships to move the needle towards a vital world.
The Value of Resilience in the Built EnvironmentThe return on investment from resilience in the built environment depends on many factors. This session will explore how to go about identifying the value of resilience, resilient solutions and technologies, the benefits from resilience and the role of the private real estate industry in the future of communities as we face climate change. Building case studies will be discussed.
Recognize resilient solutions in the built environment, ROI and benefits from resilience, and the role of the private industry in climate adaptation.
- Recognize the processes of evaluating the value of resilience in the built environment
- Identify specific resilient solutions and technologies from buildings case studies
- Identify resilient solutions for the construction phase of the built environment
- Recognize tangible and intangible benefits from resilience in the built environment
- Identify the role of the private real estate sector in the future of climate adaptation
- Recognize resilience ROI studies and case studies
- Identify resilient solutions and technologies for the built environment (including the construction phase)
- List benefits, tangible and intangible, from incorporating resilience in the built environment
- Discuss the role of the private real estate industry in climate adaptation